Sunday, December 9, 2012

Week 8: FGCU Nature Hike!


Professor Wilkinson leading the campus hike!
           Our class field trip, which was a campus hike through the nature trails of Florida Gulf Coast University, was definitely a unique experience and one of my favorite trips we made as a class.  Florida Gulf Coast University has over four hundred acres of land dedicated to the preservation of nature and the environment at large.  The land serves as the wildlife's habitat to many Florida native plant species and animals.  In addition, the nature trails can be a place where students can seek relaxation and develop appreciation for the aesthetic surroundings.  Our Honors Colloquium class began our journey into the woods on a Wednesday afternoon.  The class started the trip by walking right out of our classroom, past the Student Union building , and across FGCU Blvd. making our way to the preserve area and the FGCU nature trails. 
            As we entered the nature trail, Professor Wilkinson warned us about walking through the swampy area, as the water could get to be knee deep!  I felt anxious to plough through the murky, knee-deep water, but also excited to experience nature in this unique way in the backyard of our own campus.  I could feel the cold water seep into my converse shoes and felt the long grass wrapping around my ankles.  As we made our way through the swampy area, our class, led by Professor Wilkinson, made our way to a trail on dry land surrounded by tall trees.  We followed the path which led to an area with picnic tables for students to gather and hang out.  Through binoculars, I saw a large owl perched at the top of a tall tree.  I was particularly excited to see this because it is my sorority's, Chi Omega, symbol.   I was pleasantly surprised with the beauty of the nature in our university and how our university preserves nature.  I definitely look forward to returning to the nature trails of FGCU!    

No comments:

Post a Comment